After discovering that Limerick Youth Service were going to divest themselves of the centre at Ballyloughran a public meeting was called and held at Tomasín’s on Friday night the 10th of April.
Over 70 people attended the meeting. A survey was distributed on the night which asked whether the community should attempt to acquire the facility for the use of the parish and asked people to volunteer. There were over sixty responses and all were in the affirmative to the prospect of acquiring the facility. Forty people volunteered by signing up to participate in any committees or fundraising activities that may be required.
Given the overwhelmingly positive response to the survey and the level of commitment shown it was decided to hold a second meeting on the night of Saturday the 18th April with the objective of forming a committee to approach Limerick Youth Service.
Ballydonoghue Community Development Committee was formed at the public meeting held on Saturday 18th April 2015, with the following executive elected on the night:
From left to right:
Assistant-secretary: Aisling Enright, Ballyloughran
Secretary: Colleen Barrett, Ballyconry
PRO: Noelle Hegarty, Loughanes
Chair: Mike Gilbert, Ballydonoghue Lower
Treasurer: Conor Foley, Ballyloughran
Vice-chair: Brendan Cullen, Killomeroe
Assistant-treasurer: Mike Kissane, Moybella North
It was agreed on the night that the executive should be expanded with members being nominated by each voluntary organisation in the parish.
If you wish to get in touch with, or have any suggestions for the committee please contact any of the members individually or email email@example.com
While driving from the cross to Ballybunion this morning I passed a red Google Streetview car travelling from The Switch towards Lisselton.
Lisselton parent and toddler group meet every Saturday morning in Lisselton School at the new time of 10.30am – 12.30pm. All welcome, suitable for children 0 – 3 years.
The Irish Blood Transfusion Service will be holding a Blood Donor Clinic in The Community Centre, Ballybunion on Tuesday next, March 8th. Time: 6.00 – 9.00pm.
With the recession in full swing, the buzz word seems to be self-help. With this in mind, you now have a golden oppurtunity to attend gardening classes in this area. Commencing on Saturday, March 5th in Ballybunion, the class will run from 11.00am – 1.00pm each week. With the emphasis on making it easy and enjoyable, the class will give you lots of practical advice. For details and booking, please ring 087-1255096.
Congratulations to Mairead Behan, daughter of Bridie and the late Bob, Ballyegan and Colm Garvey, son of Nancy (Linnane, Ballydonoghue) and Tadhg, Co. Wexford who were married on Friday, February 18th in St. Theresa’s Church, Ballydonoghue.
A great night of Set Dancing was enjoyed by many in Tomasín’s Lisselton on Saturday night last as Ballydonoghue CCE held their Annual Confined Set Dancing Competitions. The hall was packed with teams from North Kerry and West Limerick competing on the night.
The following were the results:
Under 9 Ladies
- 1st Causeway
- 2nd Ballydonoghue Shauna Mulvihill/Nora Keane, Caoimhe Lyons/Eve Hennelly, Sophie Flavin/Tori O’Connor, Aoife O’Sullivan/Rebecca Houlihan.
Under 10 Mixed
- 1st Ballydonoghue Dylan Quinn/Shauna Mulvihill, Tadhg Barry/Caoimhe Lyons, Shane Madden/Sophie Flavin, Ryan O’Neill/Tori O’Connor
- 2nd Causeway
- 3rd Ballydonoghue Diarmuid O’Mahony/Louise Madden, Patrick Kissane/Andrea Moriarty, Conor Hennessy/Enya O’Sullivan, Ryan O’Neill/Caoimhe Barry
Under 10 Ladies
- 1st Ballydonoghue Roisin Kissane/Caoimhe Lyons, Enya O’Sullivan/Caoimhe Barry, Andrea Moriarty/Shauna Mulvihill, Louise Madden/Sophie Flavin
- 2nd Ardagh
Under 12 Mixed
- 1st Ballydonoghue David Sheehy/Aoife O’Donnell, Daniel Houlihan/Ashling Madden, Michael Kennedy/Edel Quinn, Seamus Leen/Saoirse Kennedy
- 2nd Ballylongford
- 3rd Ballydonoghue Patrick Kissane/Mary Barry, Fergal Leahy/Molly Mulvihill, Liam Halpin/Meabh Trench, Diarmuid O’Mahony/Emily McCarthy
Under 12 Ladies
- 1st Ballydonoghue Emily McCarthy/Renee Cooke, Aoife O’Donnell/Edel Quinn, Ashling Madden/Saoirse Kennedy, Saoirse O’Carroll/Rachel Mulvihill
- 2nd Ardagh
- 3rd Ballylongford
- 4th Ballydonoghue Michelle O’Connor/Meabh Trench, Alannah Horgan/Molly Mulvihill, Erin Halpin/Mary Barry, Aoife Lynch/Louise Madden.
- 5th Causeway
Under 15 Mixed
- 1st Ballydonoghue Jason Foley/Robyn Doyle Michael Foley/Emma Gleeson Daragh Sheehy/Kerri Ann Dowling Donal Doyle/Niamh O’Sullivan
- 2nd Ballydonoghue Christopher Heffernan/Emma Houlihan Michael Foley/Laura O’Neill Liam Leahy/Colette Foley David Sheehy/Ashling Madden
- 3rd Ballydonoghue Brian Mason/Aoife O’Donnell William Kissane/Emily McCarthy Daniel Houlihan/Mary Barry Michael Kennedy/Rachel Mulvihill
Under 15 Ladies
- 1st Ballydonoghue Fionnuala Trench/Colette Foley, Laura O’Neill/Emma Houlihan Kerri Ann Dowling/Aoife O’Donnell Niamh O’Sullivan/Ashling Madden
- 2nd Ballydonoghue Charlotte Greaney/Orla Holly Emma Gleeson/Muireann Kissane Claudia Greaney/Robyn Doyle
- 3rd Ardagh
- 4th Ballylongford
Under 18 Ladies
- 1st Ballydonoghue Deirdre McCarthy/Muireann Kissane Elaine McCarthy/Amber Greaney Cliona Doyle/Emma Gleeson Aoife Trench/Moira O’Connell
- 2nd Causeway
- 3rd Ballylongford
Our thanks to Michael Murphy who adjudicated on the night, and to Tomasín’s and Jackie Hegarty for their help and to all the parents who supported the night.
Branch meeting on this Friday night in Lisselton school at 6pm.
The 2011 edition of Ballydonoghue Parish Magazine has been chosen as a finalist in the Arts, Heritage and Culture category of Kerry Community Awards. The committee are, naturally, delighted with the news but the real honour goes to the people of Ballydonoghue and surrounding areas for their unstinting support, submitting photos, articles and items of interest each year to make the magazine, now in it’s 27th year, a publication that all the parishioners can be proud to be associated with.
Welcome to Ballydonoghue.net, the location for all the news from the parish of Ballydonoghue.